Email MeMichael T. Norton
Michael Norton is a shareholder and former president of Kennedy & Graven, Chartered, and practices in the areas of Local Government Law, Development Law, and Employment Law. Mike also provides real estate and development services to Minnesota towns, and procurement, contracting, and real estate services to school districts. Mike is the city attorney for Crystal, Franklin, and Victoria, and development counsel for the City of Marshall, the Brainerd Lakes Area Development Corporation and the Victoria Economic Development Authority. Mike also provides services to his private clients.
Mike earned his B.S. in Foreign Service from Georgetown University in 1970. He served in the United States Air Force from 1971 to 1973. Mike graduated from William Mitchell College of Law in 1978 and started his legal career as a legal aid lawyer. Mike later was an attorney with the Minneapolis City Attorney's Office, serving as a prosecutor, civil litigator, acting City Attorney, and Civil Deputy City Attorney. Mike has over 26 years of experience as a lawyer providing high-quality legal services to his private sector business and development clients and his public sector clients, working for large and small cities and towns and school districts.
Mike focuses on complex land use, governmental authority, development law, public contracting, employment law and litigation matters. Mike routinely handles the most sensitive and controversial matters for his clients. Mike's skills include the ability to develop strategies to implement complex and politically sensitive policy decisions. Mike believes strongly in providing his clients with proactive legal advice to prevent or minimize liability, while assisting elected officials and professional staff in accomplishing their goals and objectives.
Among Mike's many interests are his family, home remodeling and landscaping, and perfecting his golf swing. Mike has been involved in various Bloomington youth sports activities with his daughter, and volunteered with the Bloomington Athletic Association (BAA) and traveling athletic teams.
Mike says this about his work at Kennedy & Graven:
My professional goal is to provide the highest quality, cost-effective legal services to our clients. Kennedy & Graven shares that goal. The Firm's collegial atmosphere and professional support staff enables me to efficiently and economically maximize results for my clients.
Areas of Practice
- Local Government Law
- Development Law
- Employment Law
- Minnesota, 1978
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota, 1979
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit, 1979
- William Mitchell College of Law, St Paul, Minnesota - 1978
- Georgetown University, Washington, District of Columbia
- Bachelor of Science - 1970
- Major: Foreign Service
- Adjunct Professor, William Mitchell College of Law, 1983 - Present
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
- Hennepin County Bar Association, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Minneapolis City Attorney's Office, Prosecutor
- Minneapolis City Attorney's Office, Civil Litigator
- Minneapolis City Attorney's Office, Acting City Attorney
- Minneapolis City Attorney's Office, Civil Deputy City Attorney
- Legal Aid Service of Northeastern Minnesota, Legal Aid Attorney
- Legal Assistance of Dakota County, Executive Director
- United States Air Force, 1st Lieutenant, 1971 - 1973
- Delta Phi Epsilon