For more than three decades, Greg Madsen has represented school districts and other employers in employment, discrimination, labor and commercial litigation and arbitration matters and has advised them on practices designed to prevent lawsuits. Greg is a Minnesota State Bar Association Board-Certified Specialist in Labor and Employment Law. Greg represents Minnesota school districts in virtually all phases of education law, including student disciplinary matters, employee discipline and discharge proceedings, discrimination and harassment claims, and data privacy, constitutional, and collective bargaining issues.
Greg has a special appreciation for the needs of employers seeking assistance in establishing preventive labor and employment practices. He served as Director of Employee Relations and Labor Relations Counsel at Republic Airlines, Inc. from 1983-1985. Greg is a frequent speaker at seminars and provides training on various labor, employment, and education law issues.
Greg served as a school board member of the Mounds View School District from 2008-2018. While attending the University of Minnesota, Greg covered the Minnesota State Legislature, the Minneapolis City Council and other governmental, legal, and political affairs as a reporter and editor for the Minnesota Daily. He received his undergraduate degree in Journalism, magna cum laude, from the University of Minnesota and was selected as a Phi Beta Kappa scholar. Greg also received his law degree from the University of Minnesota, where he taught legal research and writing.
Greg lives in Arden Hills, Minnesota with his wife, Ellie. They have three sons, Andy, Quinn, and Ethan.
Greg has this to say about his practice at Kennedy & Graven:
I’ve been honored to have spent most of my professional life representing School Districts and other institutions that are dedicated to the needs of the people they serve. Kennedy & Graven strives to provide that same dedication to the clients it serves.
- University of Minnesota Law School, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Juris Doctor – 1981
- University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- B.A. magna cum laude – 1978
- Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
- Major: Journalism
- Minnesota, 1982
- California, 1986
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota, 1982
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 1986
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 1991
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 1986
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit, 1998
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1988
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Minnesota Association of School Administrators
- Minnesota Association of School Business Officials
- Minnesota Council of School Personnel Administrators
- Minnesota Council of School Attorneys
- National Council of School Attorneys
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- California State Bar Association
- National Association of Educational Negotiators