Mary has more than twenty years of experience in the areas of local government law and municipal litigation. She currently serves as city attorney for the cities of Richfield, Rosemount, and Osseo. Mary is also a defense attorney for the League of Minnesota Cities Insurance Trust. She has represented cities in both state and federal courts, including having argued numerous cases at the Minnesota Court of Appeals and Minnesota Supreme Court. Mary specializes in the areas of labor and employment law. She assists many of the firm’s municipal clients with routine review and updating of personnel policies, day-to-day advice on state and federal leave and discrimination laws, data practices issues, contract interpretation, and representation of employers in grievance arbitrations.
Prior to her law career, Mary was a staff member for former United States Congressman Gerry Sikorski (1988-1992), where she represented constituents at local, state and federal agencies. Her legal career began as a law clerk and defense attorney for the League of Minnesota Cities Insurance Trust (1994-2001), where she represented cities throughout the State of Minnesota in personal injury, property damage, and employment cases. She previously served as the city attorney for Shorewood (2009-2010) and Montrose (2011-2012).
During her spare time, Mary enjoys long-distance running, weightlifting, and other fitness activities. She also enjoys reading, particularly fiction, and endeavors to become a better-than-average cook.
Mary has this to say about Kennedy & Graven:
I enjoy my practice at Kennedy & Graven because it allows me to work with clients who are committed to making their communities a better place to live. It is very rewarding to be part of a team of dedicated and hard-working employees and elected officials serving their communities.
- William Mitchell College of Law, St Paul, Minnesota
- Juris Doctor cum laude – 1997
- Honors: CALI Excellence for the Future Award, Study of Remedies
- Concordia College, Saint Paul
- Bachelor of Arts cum laude – 1988
- Major: Psychology
- Minnesota, 1997
- U.S. District Court, 1997
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
- Minnesota Women Lawyers, Member
- Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association, Member
- Minnesota Association of City Attorneys, Past President
- Taught Workshops for Municipal Officials, Including Presentations on the Family and Medical Leave Act and Governmental Immunity