Transactions, Development, and Litigation
Comprehensive Legal Services in Minnesota Real Estate Matters
Kennedy & Graven, Chartered provides a full range of services to both municipalities and private clients in the area of real estate law. From acquisition, financing, and land use to construction litigation and environmental compliance, our attorneys work to assure smooth transactions and protect clients’ interests.
Based in Minneapolis, we serve clients large and small throughout the Twin Cities Metro area, outstate Minnesota, and beyond. We represent units of local government, commercial and residential developers, buyers, sellers, construction contractors, utilities and pipeline companies, and financial institutions.
Experience and Qualifications
Two of our attorneys are certified by the Minnesota Bar Association as Real Property Law Specialists, and two hold master’s degrees in urban planning. Several of our attorneys have worked as city planners, land use planners, and zoning administrators. Others currently serve or have served on city councils, planning commissions, or boards of zoning adjustments for cities.
An essential element of our representation is advising the client on issues that governments face on a daily basis. Attorneys in our firm have extensive and long-term experience in matters such as:
- Zoning and land use, including conditional use permits and variances
- Comprehensive plan and subdivision issues
- Condemnation and eminent domain
- Establishing clear title or resolving title defects
- Redevelopment contracts
- Environmental and regulatory compliance
- Public finance through bonds or assessments
Our real estate attorneys also advise and represent developers, property owners, lenders, and construction companies in commercial and residential matters such as:
- Acquisition and development
- Sales of undeveloped land or developed properties
- Loan workouts
- Lease agreements
- Title review and issue resolution
- Common ownership communities (condo association, town home association)
A significant part of the firm’s litigation experience is related to real estate, including:
- Title disputes
- Mortgage foreclosures
- Contract for deed disputes
- Enforcement of easements, licenses, purchase agreements, and other interests in real property
- Claims of fraud and misrepresentation
- Municipal land use decisions including challenges to zoning, conditional use permits, variances, land dedication, platting, access rights, regulation of group homes, and height restrictions.